Upgrade to Qt 4.5

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 14 00:07:13 GMT 2009

Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> I was considering distributions which ship binary packages.

Right. In that sense, I agree with you.

> Yes, and, last time I checked, cmake had no "make uninstall", so it's possible
> that some renamed files are still kept in the installation directory. But I
> think that this cleanup, or fresh start, etc., can be done without
> correlation with a new Qt version.

Of course, and I occasionally do it with no such reason. Big qt-copy
changes are just a handy excuse :-).

>> In some (less common) cases, things may be *genuinely broken* if
>> the 4.4 code is used with 4.5.
>
> I can think of the workarounds that Plasma developers had to do with graphics
> view and the differences between 4.4 and 4.5, true, but I think that this are
> the exception, not the rule.

I agree.

> Sorry if someone felt insulted by my words. I tried to be clear and firm in my
> position, but not attacking at all.

No worries, as long as you don't mind that I stand firm in my position
also :-).

> I just wanted that people used rationality and common sense: if a
> rebuild was _needed_ (and that's the word David used and that made me
> feel forced to reply), unstable/development binary distribution
> branches could not exist the way they do.

I think we agree in general. Is a rebuild *needed*? Usually not. Is it
*beneficial*... well, it can be, sometimes :-).

--
Matthew
"943. I am not Bjorn of Borg."