Upgrade to Qt 4.5

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Fri Mar 13 21:49:27 GMT 2009

Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Viernes, 13 de Marzo de 2009, Matthew Woehlke escribió:
>> Alejandro Exojo wrote:
>>> And do you recompile everything in your system each time you upgrade GCC
>> If you run gentoo, you *should* recompile after a major gcc upgrade (on
>> the theory that you'll get better, faster code by doing so) :-).
>>
>>> or  libc?
>> Again, on gentoo I would consider it :-). And I bet you'd be surprised
>> the extent to which most distros usually have software built against the
>> latest glibc.
>
> I was considering distributions which ship binary packages. I don't know how
> Gentoo works, but I supposed that it works in a similar way to compiling from
> source without all the automation provided by the distribution tools.

It's as if Fedora suddenly only used *.src.rpm for everything.  So it's
all pretty much automated.  That's why Gentoo users aren't too afraid to
rebuild (at least if they aren't on some older hardware, like a Pentium
3 or something, which would take too long to rebuild packages.)  It's
just a single command to do it ;)

>> Another reason I rebuild is it's a good excuse to nuke the install tree
>> and make sure there's no cruft floating around. That's usually not an
>> issue when you're dealing with distro packages, but it *is* (or at
>> least, can be) when you're overwriting an install on a regular basis
>> with no clean-up happening in between. And while CMake is far better
>> than most build systems about always rebuilding anything that needs to
>> rebuild, like any software there is a possibility of bugs, both in CMake
>> and in KDE's build system.
>
> Yes, and, last time I checked, cmake had no "make uninstall", so it's possible
> that some renamed files are still kept in the installation directory.

Gentoo doesn't use cmake for package management.  If you uninstall,
nothing is left behind.  Again, just imagine that Fedora would suddenly
only use src.rpm ;)

>> All that said... there's an excellent chance that nothing bad will
>> happen if you don't rebuild. I just don't think you should be insulting
>> people that *do* run full rebuilds on major Qt updates. (Or else, you
>> should choose your words more carefully so you don't seem to be doing so
>> ;-).)
>
> Sorry if someone felt insulted by my words. I tried to be clear and firm in my
> position, but not attacking at all. And that's why I said that if somebody
> didn't knew it was OK. I just wanted that people used rationality and common
> sense: if a rebuild was _needed_ (and that's the word David used and that
> made me feel forced to reply), unstable/development binary distribution
> branches could not exist the way they do (I mean branches like Sid, Rawhide,
> Cooker, etc.). Each time a new minor version of a library is uploaded, all
> packages depending on it are not recompiled (at least not in Debian), and
> certainly binary only packages just _can't_ be recompiled.

The mistake here is that people simply assume that just because they're
using Gentoo, rebuilding the packages is simple for everyone else too.
Many Gentoo users aren't familiar at with downloading tarballs,
unpacking them and building them and how tedious this can get for
non-Gentoo users.

So to sum it up, if you on Gentoo, just go ahead and rebuild.  It's just
a matter of typing a single command.