Security Concern

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Mar 6 22:46:53 GMT 2009

Nathan England wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 14:53:32 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> Nathan England wrote:
>>> When I right click on the desktop I do not have an option for creating a
>>> new shortcut, or I would have done that! The only thing close I have
>>> found is right clicking an icon and selecting copy to where ever...
>> You need at least KDE 4.2.0 for this.
>
> I am running kde 4.2.1... I am not using deskview, is that what you are
> assuming?

Yes, that is what he is presuming.  However, what he suggests is not a
good idea.

You should find the 'desktop' file in:

	$HOME/.local/share/application/kde4/

you need to move this somewhere.  I suggest:

	$HOME/.local/share/panel_icons/

Now you should find that using the menu will be back to normal.

Remove the icon from the panel (which is now a dead link).  Now add the
icon again dragging/

	$HOME/.local/share/panel_icons/konsole.desktop

You will probably have to change the icon it displays back to
"utilities-terminal".  You can do this either by using the properties
window and clicking on the icon and selecting from the dialog or by
editing the file.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch