kdeprint in kde 4

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Mar 4 21:47:42 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 06:03:46 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Rick Miles wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 March 2009 04:13:11 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >  > Rick Miles wrote:
> >  > > My printers are networked
> >  >
> >  > Sorry but I don't have a network. Do I understand correctly that your
> >  > networked printers are setup correctly in CUPS but that they don't
> >  > show up in the Qt print dialog widget?
> >
> > Yes, there are two printers connected to the server, one prints only b/w
> > the other is colour and lists 3 times: b/w at high dpi, colour at low
> > dpi for drafts and higher dpi for quality. Cups was set up correctly and
> > there were no problems prior to upgrade on this box. My daughter's
> > machine is still running kde 3.5.9 and has no problems.
> >

> > In all applications kde or not 4 printers show up as printer options
> > with the exception of firefox but that is probably a seperate issue,
> >

> > Is there a qt widget other than the one accessed through the edit-print
> > menu? I was thinking of something I used to put in quicklaunch in kde
> > 3.5 but there is nothing listed in my select widgets widget. My daughter
> > won't be up for a couple more hours so I can't check her machine but I
> > remember one that would list all the printers and have some tabs for
> > things like jobs and instances in instance one could print test page. I
> > think that was called kprintmanager or something like that. The other
> > was kprinter and that could be entered into the printer command box for
> > printer setups on earlier versions of aps like xpaint firefox and
> > O.O.org.
> >
> >  > That would be a Qt bug. Do you have
> >  > Qt-4.4.3 installed? This is the newest version that will work with
> >  > KDE-4.2.
> >
> > That's a darn good question....
> > rick at rick:~$ ls /var/log/packages/ | grep qt
> > dbus-qt3-0.70-i486-2
> > qt-r912655-i486-1
> > qt3-3.3.8b-i486-opt1
> > rick at rick:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/qt-r912655
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2 2009-02-19 09:14 /usr/lib/qt-r912655 -> qt/
> >

> > However, when I look into /usr/lib/qt/lib a typical listing would be:
> > <snip> libQtGui.so -> libQtGui.so.4.4.3*
> >

> > Slack Current changelog says:
> > Wed Jan 21 17:27:37 CST 2009
> > Upgraded to KDE 4.2rc1 (4.1.96) in /testing.
> >

> > So why is there a qt3.something in /usr/lib and not qt-4.something?
>
> You still need Qt-3 installed for older applications.
>
> It lists: "qt-r912655-i486-1" which would be a Qt-4 SVN snapshot.  I
> suggest that you upgrade/change to the actual qt-4.4.3 release if possible.

OK fair enough, I don't wory to much about gui's, just use them and script or
doodle sometimes in C.

I'm using Slack-12.2 and at this point it is still possible to upgrade to KDE 4.2
using the KDE-4.2 packages in current/testing. At this time curent is still
backwards compatable with 3rd party kde aps compiled on the stock 12.2 system but
a note in the Changelog says that this will not be so later on down the track in
the development cycle.

I'm not sure I feel like compiling my own QT of KDE so I'll wait and sort out my
problems in the interim. I usually don't run Current but maybe I'll do a complete
upgrade when everything bumops up to the appropriate notch.

Thanks for the interest.
--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Prickle-Prickle, the 64th of Chaos, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au