kdeprint in kde 4

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Mar 4 05:15:14 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:51:16 Kishore wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 Mar 2009 7:16:10 am Rick Miles wrote:
> > > Not the smartest design decision of 2008. :-)
>
> It was not a "smart" choice but a necessary one. There was lack of
> competent manpower to get it into good shape for kde4. There is still hope
> for it to come back in the kde 4 life time if somebody steps up to it.
>
> > I get the impression allot of things were expendible for the sake of
> > competitive eye candy.  I used both kooka and kpdf all the time and
> > they're down the third tube on the left also.  I'll grant there are some
> > welcome improvements under the hood but what about useability? Seems they
> > left arts in, probably a trade off, arts or kdeprint which one should we
> > keep.
>
> kooka suffers the same as kdeprint. i.e. the lack of maintainers. kpdf on
> the other hand has survived.... it got a new name (okular) and more
> features too. arts as a design choice has been dropped.
 You might note a previous post of mine today where I could not print a pdf with
okular as it asks me what filter to use and then won't do anything with any of
those offered for selection.

 I'm only interested in a pdf reader which IMHO kpdf did a better job of for me
than acroread, Dunno about the "more features" I just want three: view, preview
and print. Small and simple is nice.

I really could care less whether I use kooka or not if the replacement, scanlite,
has some documentation so maybe I can figure out how to get it to see my networked
scanner which xsane has no problem doing and it to uses the sane backend.

As for arts, AFAIK it has not been maintained for awhile and was supposed to be
dropped in KDE 4 but has not been taken out completely but instead relegated to a
lessor optional sound service, perhaps for legacy aps. It was a nuisance and
problematic for many people on many distros for quite awhile.
--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Pungenday, the 63rd of Chaos, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au