kdeprint in kde 4

Wed Mar 4 04:51:16 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 Mar 2009 7:16:10 am Rick Miles wrote:
> > Not the smartest design decision of 2008. :-)

It was not a "smart" choice but a necessary one. There was lack of competent
manpower to get it into good shape for kde4. There is still hope for it to
come back in the kde 4 life time if somebody steps up to it.

> I get the impression allot of things were expendible for the sake of
> competitive eye candy.  I used both kooka and kpdf all the time and they're
> down the third tube on the left also.  I'll grant there are some welcome
> improvements under the hood but what about useability? Seems they left arts
> in, probably a trade off, arts or kdeprint which one should we keep.

kooka suffers the same as kdeprint. i.e. the lack of maintainers. kpdf on the
other hand has survived.... it got a new name (okular) and more features too.
arts as a design choice has been dropped.
--
Cheers!
Kishore