Konsole

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Tue Mar 3 10:11:31 GMT 2009

Daniel D Jones wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2009 08:23:31 Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Friday 20 February 2009 13:01:27 Daniel D Jones wrote:
>>> A couple of oddities about Konsole under KDE 4.2.  First, right click
>>> doesn't work on my setup.  It gets you absolutely nothing.  Is this a
>>> design decision, a configuration option that I'm missing somewhere or
>>> something broken on my system?
>> What did you expect it to do?
>
> I expected to get a menu with various options on it, like copy and paste.
>
> I know this is an old post but I  finally solved this issue, along with a host
> of other problems I was having, and thought I'd post the solution here for
> future reference.
>
> For some reason, the permissions on the /usr/share/config folder were set to
> 700.  This is likely a bug of some sort in the Gentoo package.  I reset it to
> 755 and all sorts of little problems I was having went away.

It's a matter of RTFEL (Read The Friendly Emerge Log).  When you emerged
kdelibs, it tells you:

   If you experience weird application behavior (missing texts, etc.)
   run as root:
     chmod 755 -R /usr/share/config $PREFIX/share/config

It is *always* a good idea to read the logs after doing an emerge.  For
this, you can emerge the elogv package and simply type "elogv" after
emerging.  "man elogv" for info how to delete logs you've read.