kdeglobals forgets some settings

Roland Wolters roland.wolters at credativ.de
Mon Mar 2 09:21:50 GMT 2009

Hi Jason,

On Friday 30 January 2009 14:53:52 Jason Voegele wrote:
> I just now noticed something interesting though.  I tried to open a patch
> file sent to me as an e-mail attachment.  I didn't have any file
> associations for .patch files, so KMail asked me what application to use to
> open the patch file. I chose Kompare, and selected the "always use this
> application" check box. Then I was shown a progress dialog that said
> "updating system configuration" or something along those lines, and after
> that my widget style reverted back to Oxygen instead of QtCurve.  I checked
> the kdeglobals file and sure enough, the widgetStyle entry was gone.
>
> My guess is that whenever something executes this "updating system
> configuration" tool (is that kbuildsycoca?) it drops some of my settings in
> kdeglobals.  Does this sound reasonable?  Any way to fix it?

That sounds possible, although I cannot reproduce that here. My advice is to
create a way where you can reproduce that problem exactly on your machine
(distribution?) and afterwards fill a bug report at bugs.kde.org or at the
bugzilla of your distribution to follow the problem with the help of other
developers.

Some more information valuable could be:
- Does that happen for other users as well?
- Does that happen on other installations of that distribution?
- Have you checked that the file system where $HOME/.kde is mounted is really
mounted rw? Are there any files probably only equipped with read-rights
somewhere in the config dir?

Regards,

Roland

PS: Yes, the rw-question looks stupid, but sometimes the most stupid ideas are
the solution ;)
--
Roland Wolters
Tel.: +49 (0)21 61 / 46 43-181

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz