Dolphin sessions

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 30 08:17:00 BST 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply, I did not notice that you had answered.
>
>>> I did not file the feature request on Dolphin as I see that Konqueror
>>> does have sessions. What, specifically, do you feel could be improved?
>>>
>> Konqueror View Profiles contain a configuration of Konqueror and
>> optionally can contain stored URLs.  Perhaps some of the problem could
>> be attributed to bugs.  Specifically, the number of open tabs and window
>> divisions seems to be part of the configuration of Konqueror even if the
>> system might be OK.  However, it appears to me that saving a
>> configuration and saving content [URL(s)] should be two separate actions
>> and the option should be whether to attach a configuration to content
>> (currently even if the bugs are fixed, this is required).  A
>> configuration does need a default URL to use when a new instance opens,
>> but this should not override content already opened in a Konqueror instance.
>>

> Specifically, the change that you are asking for is that one could
> open a profile of tabs in addition to (as opposed to replacing) the
> current tabs?

I hadn't though of that.  What I would say is no, if you opened a URL
Profile (no configuration) it would replace the tabs currently opened.
But, you may have a point there.

>> I would take this one step further.  Although we would probably have to
>> allow named configurations, I would also make it possible to create
>> automatic configurations that were associated with one or more protocols
>>  so that the configuration would automatically change based on the
>> protocol of the URL that currently had focus.  We already have something
>> similar; you will notice that some of the icons on the toolbars appear
>> and disappear based on the content type of the URL that has focus.
>>

> Be very specific, this may be possible.

I figured that the default configuration (Default_Browser) would cover
all of the protocols

>> This could be used to eliminate the need for the artificial division
>> into "Web Browsing" and "File Management".  The universal browser is a
>> feature of KDE, I do not understand what motivated the attempt to create
>> the false separation, but then there a lot of things about the KDE
>> project that I don't understand.
>>

> The universal browser is a feature of Konqueror, not KDE. And
> Konqueror isn't going anywhere!

If you want a detailed discussion of this, contact me off list.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch