document path as download target?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 27 11:14:39 BST 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 25 June 2009 23:25:29 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Sascha Peilicke wrote:
>>> Hi y'all,
>>>
>>> In the "About Me" KCM several paths can be set and I did as
>>> following:
>>>
>>> Documents path: /home/foo/documents Download path:
>>> /home/foo/download
>>>
>>> Strange is that when I want to save a file (from konq, kmail,
>>> etc.) the file dialog shows the documents path by default. Seems
>>> like it should point to the download path instead. The question
>>> is what's the meaning of the documents path here and how it
>>> should be used in general (e.g. used as a saving target for
>>> koffice and similar apps) or whether this is a bug.
>> What version of KDE-4 are you using.  When asking a question such
>> as this, it is a good idea to include that information.
>>
>> I tried this in Trunk and it does still select Documents as the
>> default.
>>
>> IMO, this is a bug.  The function: "KGlobalSettings::downloadPath"
>> has been added to KDELibs::KDEUI and it should be used.
>
> I don't see this as a bug at all.  I certainly don't see attachments
> to mail as in the same class as Internet downloads.

If you are saving a file pointed to by an internet (URL) link, that is a
download and the best default would appear go be the "Download"
directory -- isn't that what it is for?

You are correct that that is not the same as saving files which are
actually attached to emails.  I would think that the best default for
those would be "Documents".

OTOH, it would be best if it was possible to base all of this on file
extensions and have it configurable like it is with "KGet".

> Why do you think they should be treated the same?

I don't think that they should be treated the same!  Did I say that?  I
thought that we were talking about downloads.  I have my system set up
so that all the downloads (when I click "Save as" in the dialog" go to
my DownLoad directory.  This is the best default unless we are going to
base it on file extensions.  I do think that some people might want to
do it differently.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch