KDE Desktops

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 20 08:19:04 BST 2009

Robert Spangler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I run more then one version of KDE on a single system?
> Is there any website that explain how to do this?

Unless your distro has provisions for doing this, if you want to install
KDE-4.x alongside KDE-3.5 to test it, you have to build it from source.

My instructions:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x

for installing KDE-4.x while you are still using KDE-3.5 as your working
desktop are somewhat outdated and not complete due to new developments.

Still the basic method is the same:

1.	You need a separate user account for the KDE-4.x version.  The user
account profile (.bash_profile) in this account must set all environment
variables to the correct values to run KDE-4.x.  You can not run KDE-4.x
on your regular user account because once you do this, you will no
longer be able to run KDE-3.5 on that account.

2.	You need to install KDE-4.x in a private directory (e.g.
/usr/local/KDE-4.3) along with KDESupport.  You might also want to
install libraries specific to KDE-4.x in that directory but this isn't
critical as long as there is no interference with other libraries.  Qt-4
can be installed in its default directory:
"/usr/local/Troltech/Qt-<version>".

I am currently unable to start KDE-4.x from KDM (strange: it used to
work OK) and have to start it from a VT using "startx".

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch