Konqueror search field vanished with ugrade to KDE4

Klaus Layer klaus.layer at gmx.de
Sun Jun 14 08:18:58 BST 2009

On Tuesday 09 June 2009 10:12:05 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> After installing, you will find it if you right click somewhere in the
> toolbar and select "Configure Toolbars..."  Select "Search Toolbar
> <searchbar>" in the drop-down menu.  If that entry isn't there, it
> probably means the konq-plugins package of your Linux distro does not
> contain the searchbar.

I finally managed to resolve this issue. Here is what I did:

In $HOME/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/kpartplugins is a file searchbar.rc. This
file describes the shared library which is loaded for the searchbar. During
the update from Kubuntu 8.04 to 9.04 searchbar.rc file was not updated.
Therefore it contained the old .so name libsearchbarplugin. In the meantime
the name changed to searchbarplugin. Therefore konqueror could not load the
library. To resolve the issue I extracted the searchbar.rc file from the
debian package konqueror-plugin-searchbar_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb in
/var/cache/apt/archives to $HOME/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/kpartplugins. After
that the searchbar reappeared.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me.

Klaus