KDE 4.0

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Wed Jun 10 20:48:43 BST 2009

In <h0ovft$c2i$1 at ger.gmane.org>, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> Either an XGM or a greyscale SVG for each of {NeutralBackground,
>> AlternateBackground, Normal, Inactive, Active, Link, Visited, Negative,
>> NeutralText, Positive, Focus, Hover} and composite them at runtime, then
>> apply a final XGM or greyscale SVG as alpha channel.
>
>No, no, no, terrible ;-). Dynamic color replacement. That's where it's
>at, I say; rewriting the colors specified in the DOM. (I've had this
>idea for a while, just no time to implement it, unfortunately. SVG rocks
>that way. Hmm, but then you do have to actually /use/ svg, and not just
>raster-in-svg, but...)

That sounds like a pretty good idea.  A very simple xslt that replaces
(e.g.) $KColor$Neutral$$ in attributes with the actual value, and replaces
the <kde:KColor>Neutral</kde:KColor> with something similar.  But then, the
SVG wouldn't really be SVG.

Or, perhaps you mean something where the SVG is still valid, but based on
some other file it has a dynamically generated xslt applied to it?

Can't most of this really be handled with SVG+CSS3, by having some
additional colors recognized by the CSS3 parser, like x-kcolor-neutral?

>At any rate, color replacement would be much less complicated (in terms
>of multiple graphics needed) and is very flexible, since you can apply
>any combination or alteration of system colors, which isn't necessarily
>possible with tone-mapped grayscale graphics.

Agreed.  Your method as definite advantages over tone-mapping.  Tone mapping
was just my first, generic idea.  I didn't even think about the possibility
of taking advantage of the XML nature of SVG.

>(Seriously, if you want to implement your idea, I'd welcome the
>addition, especially since yours works with raster.)

Heh.  I'll add it to my TODO list, after finishing the donation tracker for
my local FreeGeek and getting the Valknut Debian package in order.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))