new windows spawning in the background

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 31 12:22:23 BST 2009

Brendan Miller <catphive at catphive.net> posted
ef38762f0907301107w614a5155s86514fc06bb60f52 at mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on  Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:07:13 -0700:

> I'm new to KDE, installed kubuntu 9.04 recently. I'm having this problem
> where most of the time new windows spawn in the background instead of
> the foreground. What could be causing this? Is there a setting that
> controls this?

Seems like an issue with window-stealing prevention.  Yes, it's
controllable.  Configure Window Behavior (either from system settings or
accessed from the window menu of any window), Focus.

The two settings of interest are Focus stealing prevention level, and
Policy.  I have my policy set to Focus Follows Mouse, with stealing
prevention set to normal.  That seems to work well.  See the What's This
help (Shift-F1, normally) for the two options for more, but I suspect you
may either have Focus Under Mouse (perhaps Strictly, note focus under as
opposed to focus follows, see the help for the difference), or have Focus
Stealing Prevention set high or extreme, as the description indicates the
sort of behavior you describe for those.

Note that as for many other window settings, it's possible to set
specific focus stealing prevention for individual windows or
applications, if the system's working the way you want it but specific
applications are problematic.  That's under Window Specific settings in
the same Window Settings module.  There's also shortcuts from the window
menu, advanced, to set or change those settings for that application or
window.