Trouble starting a compiled KDE 4.2.4

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jul 31 03:26:34 BST 2009

Joyce Cheng wrote:
> Hi all. After building my very own LFS system and installing an Xorg
>  server, I decided to install KDE. So I did. Following the
> instructions on techbase,

My instructions:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x

and I hope that you read them rather than the ones for building TRUNK,
were not intended for users but rather for those that knew what they
were doing and wanted to install KDE-4 BRANCH to test it.  So, they are
not a complete do it yourself guide.  Still, most of the information is
there.

You need to see that all of the necessary environmental variables are
set.  On Linux, this should be done with scripts in: "/etc/profile.d",
one for Qt and on for KDE.  Also be sure that your PATH is correct and
that the needed directories are in: "/etc/ld.so.conf" (run, as root,
ldconfig after changing the file).

> I compiled the prerequisite and the basic KDE packages -- kdelibs,
> kdepimlibs, kdebase, kdebase-runtime and kdebase-workspace.

Are you certain that you have all of the stuff in KDESupport installed?

> I set xinitrc to contain "dbus-launch startkde" and attempted to
> start it with startx.

I don't think that that is going to work.  Rather than try to start
D-Bus in "xinitrc" I suggest that you you add to or make a
"/etc/xprofile" file with:

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

   if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
       eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
   fi

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

{copy this to be sure that the "`" character is correct}

This is necessary so that it will also work if you use a display manager.

The use of the "eval" command will cause the change to be made in the
currently running shell instance.

Then your "xinitrc" file should end with the comands:

[ -f /etc/xprofile ] && . /etc/xprofile
[ -f $HOME/.xprofile ] && . $HOME/.xprofile

exec startkde

The use of the "exec" command causes the "startkde" process to replace
the current process rather than starting an additional process.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch