Is there a way to get a kde3 color scheme into kde4?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 24 11:56:52 BST 2009

Matthew Woehlke posted h4abva$585$1 at ger.gmane.org, excerpted below,
on  Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:59:53 -0500:

> Duncan wrote:

>> since I'm asking for ponies already, how about a fancy harness to go
>> with them, in the form of tooltips explaining the "a i ! - +" on the
>> scheme tab and with common colors.
>
> Sure, I can do that. So far I put e.g. "Selection Active Text against
> Selection Normal Background" (and e.g. for the set preview, "Active Text
> against Active Background"). Is that sufficient? If not, better
> suggestions?

That's the idea, only I'm not sure I'm quite parsing your "(and eg for
the set preview...)" bit.  You do mean "Active Text against Active
Background" for the "a", correct, with inactive/negative/neutral/positive
for i/!/=/+ (I /think/ that's right, still not absolutely sure),
correct?  If so, it sounds pretty close to what I had envisioned, indeed.

> Some documentation (preferably accessible from a nice prominent 'help'
> button in the kcm) would probably be good. Unfortunately I have never
> written such documentation, and so don't know what is required from the
> technical standpoint.

On one thread we had someone from the commercial software community
suggesting the gatekeepers don't let UI or behavior changes in without
matching documentation.  Of course that's not going to work so well in a
largely volunteer community, where to a large extent, he who codes, makes
the rules.  So it was explained, but I'm not sure we convinced him.

I could go very off topic here discussing in great detail a long gone not
particularly kde related example of someone trying to play by commercial
rules without paying corresponding commercial rates to actually BE the
boss he wanted to be... and how badly it ended, but I won't go there.
=:^)