kde4 ksysguard aka system monitor

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 21 17:13:36 BST 2009

Duncan wrote:
> Ugh!  If I turn on USE=networkmanager for solid, it (of course) brings in
> networkmanager as a dependency.  So far, so good, BUT...
>
> But networkmanager pulls in a bunch of /other/ absolutely nonsense
> dependencies.  Why on /earth/ should I need wpa_supplicant on a wired-
> network-only desktop/workstation system?

Same question came up on fedora-devel. Interestingly enough, the answer
was "because wired and WPA are not mutually exclusive".

Also likely because NM is not as modular as it might be...

> Why on /earth/ should I need ppp on a standard IP/Ethernet wired
> system?  Why on /earth/ should I need wireless-tools?  It also pulls
> in libnl, which Gentoo defines as "a library for applications dealing
> with netlink socket."

...which explains these as well.

NM is a great beast for netbooks and other similar machines where you
frequently bounce between widely varying networks, but it is a bit of
overkill for, say, a server that may well have the same IP address
(never mind same NIC configuration) its entire life.

> Why on
> /earth/ should I be expected to install otherwise unnecessary wireless
> and ppp packages on an Ethernet-only connected system, just to get
> Ethernet-only network monitoring?

This, of course, is the better question. I see "Shaggy Wolf" suggests it
should work, and I'm not familiar with this. Maybe find some Solid devs
to ask?

That said, I'd also suggest that NM shouldn't be quite so egregious as
far as hard-requiring wireless bits :-).

--
Matthew
"NT was a marketing name that stood for New Technology, but it was still