kde4 ksysguard aka system monitor

Shaggy Wolf shaggy.wolf.2006 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 12:13:03 BST 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 04:12:54 Duncan wrote:
> Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> posted pan.2009.07.21.05.17.08 at cox.net,
>
> excerpted below, on  Tue, 21 Jul 2009 05:17:09 +0000:
> >> The only thing I can tell you is that KDE4 depends on NetworkManager.
> >> I don't know for sure, but I think that it uses this to find network
> >> connections.  This has a daemon "NetworkManager" and it will normally
> >> show as "sleeping" in KSysGuard.
> >>
> >> I would first check to see that that process has been started, and if
> >> it isn't, then reinstall the binary for "NetworkManager".
> >
> > That was my suspicion.  I haven't yet confirmed it, but I expect we're
> > both correct in our speculative mapping, here.
>
> [Slept a couple hours, so I can think again at least.]
>
> Ugh!  If I turn on USE=networkmanager for solid, it (of course) brings in
> networkmanager as a dependency.  So far, so good, BUT...
>
> But networkmanager pulls in a bunch of /other/ absolutely nonsense
> dependencies.  Why on /earth/ should I need wpa_supplicant on a wired-
> network-only desktop/workstation system?  Why on /earth/ should I need
> ppp on a standard IP/Ethernet wired system?  Why on /earth/ should I need
> wireless-tools?  It also pulls in libnl, which Gentoo defines as "a
> library for applications dealing with netlink socket."  I'm not exactly
> sure what that is all about, but I suppose that might be a legitimate
> Ethernet-only-network dependency, at least, unlike the others.  Finally,
> it pulls in policykit, which I've seen mentioned various times in various
> places, but haven't yet had to worry about, so know little about it.  But
> I suspect that's a legitimate dependency for a networkmanager, so it can
> properly control the appropriate permissions.
>
> Need I remind people that every unnecessary installed package is not only
> additional maintenance load (particularly on a from-source distribution,
> where such things count), but ALSO additional potential security vulns
> that otherwise wouldn't affect that particular installation?  Why on
> /earth/ should I be expected to install otherwise unnecessary wireless
> and ppp packages on an Ethernet-only connected system, just to get
> Ethernet-only network monitoring?
>
> OK, so now question one is does kde network monitoring /really/ depend on
> networkmanager or is that simply something linked in for those binary
> distributions that can't be bothered to provide a non-networkmanager
> linked solid for those who don't need it?  That I don't yet know the
> answer to... yet.
>
> If the answer to that question is that it's really required, question two
> is does networkmanager /really/ require those additional wireless and ppp
> packages for standard Ethernet/IP/wired-only network connected systems,
> or again, are those bogus dependencies only linked in by binary
> distributions that can't be bothered to provide a separate wired-Ethernet-
> only version?
>
> Thus, ultimately the question becomes where's the bug?  Because there's
> [...]

Don't know if this helps you or not but on my fresh gentoo install
(accidentally deleted var and opt with no backups) my "System Monitor -
Network" plasmoid is working correctly and I don't have knetworkmanager or
networkmanager installed. If you are using wired internet all you would have
to do is set it up in /etc/conf.d/net and it should be available to the kde
network monitor. I am running kde 4.2.4 atm.

HTH (or at least points you in the right direction)
Scott