kde4 ksysguard aka system monitor

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jul 21 01:31:33 BST 2009

Duncan wrote:
> What's up with ksysguard's network and disk thruput?  In kde3.5, they
> worked.  In kde4, at least 4.2.4, not so much.
>
> The network stuff only has socket info, not the eth0 data read/written I
> was graphing previous, or indeed, /anything/ like the network/interfaces/
> eth0/receiver/data (and transmitter/data) kde3's KSysGuardApplet.xml file
> says I was using before.
>
> The disk thruput choices are there, or at least they seem to be, but when
> they're added, the labels come up "dummy" and the readings remain 0, as
> if they've been stubbed in, but nothing more.
>
> #include <version_gripe_4_x.h>
>
> Anyway, do they work for anyone else?  I don't see any open bugs on
> either issue.  FWIW, I noticed that the system monitor plasmoids don't
> have working network data either -- the only choice is loopback.  It
> works in 3.5... <shrug>

You should get a job as a software tester!  Like me, you have a knack
for finding things that don't work.

Or, perhaps you simply have a run of bad luck.

IIUC, your eth0 port is working correctly, but KDE4 doesn't find it.

I had this problem.  I installed the widget and nothing was listed in
the "Network Interface" list window.  I was going to try to trouble
shoot it and when I got around to it, it has started to work.  Now it
works and I don't know what, if anything I did. :-)

It is a strange irony that when KDE/Linux was harder to setup, it was
easier to fix problems.  Now, this is supposed to "just work" and we
don't really know how it works.

The only thing I can tell you is that KDE4 depends on NetworkManager.  I
don't know for sure, but I think that it uses this to find network
connections.  This has a daemon "NetworkManager" and it will normally
show as "sleeping" in KSysGuard.

I would first check to see that that process has been started, and if it
isn't, then reinstall the binary for "NetworkManager".

If you installed a Linux or BSD distro, it is really the responsibility
of your distro to do any necessary setup.  So, you might try the
relevant distro mailing list.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch