Advanced printing in KDE4

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jul 20 22:17:21 BST 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> A few weeks ago there was some talk about advanced printing - specifically
> printing of ranges.  Anyone interested in this should read the blog ag
>
> http://www.layt.net/john/blog/odysseus/printing_advanced_page_ranges_in_qt_part_2
>
> Now's your chance to make input, to help get the best possible result.

The kludge that I use for KDE3 -- actually it works quite well -- is to
select GV as the external print preview application.  Then the PS file
opens in GV and I can select the individual pages that I want to print
and print them.  You can even leave GV open and do multiple print commands.

Where this becomes a kludge is that KPrint still thinks that it should
print the job and I have to click "Cancel" on the dialog that pops up
when I close GV.  All that is needed is a check box option to indicate
that printing will be done from the external print preview application.

Something similar to this would be nice.  It is very useful to be able
to look at the document while you decide which pages to print.

  Yes, I know that GV is an old application.  The advantage of using it
(unless you have a PostSript printer) is that it uses GhostScript to
render the file so you have WYSIWYG -- the file will print exactly as
displayed.  But, yes a newer application made with a modern toolkit
would be nice.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch