KDE 3 users: What are the last of the KDE 3 features missing from KDE 4?

Andrew Mason slackmase2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 06:35:30 BST 2009

I have a few machines which can't run KDE 4 due to the way it
interacts with the graphics drivers. Even without composite enable it
just crawls on older Nvidia and ATI cards. The nvidia graphics cards
can't be changed driver wise, obviously, where as the ATI ones i guess
will improve with time.

I don't really know what can be done with this situation. Is it
possible to for Qt /KDE to fall back to the 'old' method for rendering
2d if say compositing is turned off , or if its started with a certain
ENV var ?

I don't know how many people  this affects however I have 3 in the
office and 4 at home which are in this situation. I have 3 machines
out of 10 which are capable of running KDE4 'correctly'.  Some of
these machines i can't even  get new video cards for, at least not
ones that will run KDE4 at a reasonable speed.

Andrew