Akonadi woes

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jul 13 12:03:16 BST 2009

On Tuesday, 2009-06-02, David A. Bandel wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This has probably been hashed out any number of times, but I don't
> have weeks to spend, I have a server that is being brought to its
> knees thanks to KDE4.
>
> I desperately need:
> 1.  A way to turn OFF akonadi server for all users _without_ removing
> kdepim.  Removing akonadi wants to remove kdepim, but some teachers
> are using kdepim and want to continue.  Is there a master control?  I
> don't relish spending days logging into hundreds of students and
> teachers accounts to turn akonadi off.

Assuming no Akonadi based application is used, startup is most likely caused
by the KResource migration tool.
This can be disabled:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#How_do_I_disable_automatic_migration_from_KDE.27s_traditional_framework.3F

To apply this for all users, make the respective change in kres-migratorrc
which got installed along side the software (e.g. in /etc/kde4) and mark it as
immutable [1] (by adding [$i] to either the config group or the single key).

That will look approximately like this

[Migration]
Enabled[$i]=false

> (I should probably say that I have a fairly powerful X server and a
> lot of X terminals/thin clients -- the system usually ran between
> 0.1-0.2 load until KDE4 was introduced, and now the load with 20+
> students logged in is over 50.0 and slow to do anything -- /home usage
> also went from 20% to 92% overnight -- WTFO???).

This is kindof weird, if nothing is accessing Akonadi all related process
should be idle.

Additionally, while the default uses one MySQL server per user to avoid that
normal users have to do any database setup, it is also possible to make all
Akonadi instances use a central database. Of course this requires respective
setup of that server.

> 2.  A way to remove all the My-not-really-SQL-SQL cruft (MySQL rant
> deleted).  KDE4 for some bizarre reason depends on MySQL.  I run
> PostgreSQL with a number of databases, and don't want the headache of
> a non-ACID POS on the system.  Seems I can't remove this junk without
> removing KDE4. (Ser ver runs Debian Squeeze).

Postgres support is currently worked on, i.e. patches to make it work are
under review.
MySQL has been chosen after all embedded options (e.g. SQLite, MySQL/Embedded)
failed to provide the required functionality and reliability and since it
allowed to ship a default setup which wouldn't require users to do any
database setup manually.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] for additional information see