What's the official status of 3.5.x, anyway?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jul 13 10:42:34 BST 2009

On Monday, 2009-07-13, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 13 July 2009 07:54:10 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Exactly, so KDE 3 is unmaintained. Don't get mad, but don't say "the
> > maintainers of those programs decided to spend their time on the KDE 4
> > version of it or not at all any longer on the program." and then claim
> > that KDE 3 is still maintained. It is not.
>
> I'm beginning to think that there is some sort of language problem here.
> It has been said several times that some applications are no longer
> maintained. That is not the same thing as KDE3 being no longer maintained.

Additionally, even if some applications are no longer maintained by their
original developers, they could still be maintained by people having an
interest in keeping them available, e.g. developers at Red Hat, Novell, KDAB,
Credativ, etc.

This is, after all, one of the key features of Free Software.
And one of the few working business models around it [1].

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] people often misunderstand "selling support" as in "payed for user
support" while it usually means "guaranteed maintenance".

KDE user support, developer mentoring