What's the official status of 3.5.x, anyway?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jul 12 14:35:37 BST 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 12 July 2009 10:17:10 Duncan wrote:
>> I guess the ubuntu/kubuntu folks were indeed wise ignoring such claims
>> and thus avoiding a 3-year LTS version of KDE.  Well, either that, or KDE
>> indeed doesn't consider "end users" as /their/ users, only distributions,
>> etc, and with all the major distributions moving on, and those that
>> weren't doing so before now pretty well /forced/ to move on...
>>
> Will there never be an end to this bullshit?  No-one forces you to do
> anything.  You can use KDE3 in a number of distros.  You just choose to use
> one centered around KDE4.  That's entirely *your* choice.

I have to tell you that I don't think that it is ever proper to attack
users for expressing their opinions even if you might not like what they
said.  Free Software should mean free speech.

I'm not clear on exactly what he meant.  However, while it is true that
users or distros are not forced to do any one specific thing with regard
to running KDE-3, reality does constrain the choices that are available
to a user or distro and over time these choices will become more
constrained and/or less desirable.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch