KMail and training SpamAssassin

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Mon Jul 6 16:08:24 BST 2009

In <200907051537.52017.ddjones at riddlemaster.org>, Daniel D Jones wrote:
>I have Spamassasin running on my mail server rather than on my desktop
> box.  I therefore can't run the Anti-Spam Wizard on KMail, since it
> correctly fails to detect a spam filter as installed.  I have a mailbox
> configured on my server for spam.  Any mail sent to that mailbox is used
> to train Spamassasin.  Before upgrading to KDE 4, I had a button on my
> toolbar which activated a filter to forward missed spam back to the spam
> mailbox on my server.  This transferred over on the upgrade but there was
> some sort of warning message on the filter that it could not be edited or
> it would be lost.  I don't recall the exact message.
>
>I recently had a runaway process fill up my hard disk and KMail crashed
> because the hard drive was full.  I fixed that issue but had to
> reconfigure KMail from scratch and lost my Spam button.  I've been unable
> to find any info on the 'Net on how to recreate it.
>
>What I'd like is a button on my KMail toolbar that, when pressed, forwards
> the selected email to a specific email address and moves the email to the
> Spam folder.  Any help in configuring this would be greatly appreciated.

Use "Settings" -> "Configure Filters...".

For the filter you create/modify, look on the "Advanced" tab.  You'll want
to make sure and clear the "Apply this filter to incoming messages:", "Apply
this filter to sent messages", and "Apply this filter on manual filtering"
checkboxes.  You'll want to mark the "Add this filter to the Apply Filter
menu" and "Additionally, add this filter to the toolbar" checkboxes.  You
might want to mark the "If this filter matches, stop processing here"
checkbox.  You might want to assign a keyboard shortcut or icon or both.

My HAM/SPAM filters have no criteria with a couple of actions and they seem
to work well.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))