window sizes

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:36:39 GMT 2009

On Saturday 31 January 2009 05:37:56 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> daniel.barna at cern.ch wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am quite annoyed by the fact that KDE 4.1 (SuSE 11.1) remembers the
> > sizes of windows, and opens them at this size.
> > For example if I for some reason maximize a konsole, the next time I run
> > konsole, it comes up with the same maximized size.
> > Can this be switched off? I have the impression that KDE 4.1 is still a
> > quite early phase, many features of KDE3 are missing.
>
> I don't know if it can be switched off since it is actually the
> application that remembers the size.
>
> However, you can override this.
>
> Right click the title bar or menu icon and select:
>
> 	Advanced -> Special Window Settings ...
>
> and you can set the defaults in the dialog box that pops up.

More than that - if you position an application to where you want it
(including your optimum size), using that same path in, look at the Geometry
tab.  There you can tell it to remember position, size, and various other
options.  This is per application, so you can manage your often-used
applications, setting each one to start at a different position and different
size, giving you a desktop that is perfect for your individual workflow.

Anne