Kaffeine DVD/CD Issues

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 12:46:00 GMT 2009

On Thursday 15 January 2009 01:55:12 Barry Premeaux wrote:
> John wrote
>
> > I think you should ask on the mandriva forum. It's fairly good but high
> > end knowledge can take a couple of days to appear.
> > There were 2 versions of 2008.1 on mandriva for download early last year.
> > One came with more video and audio features etc than the other. There was
> > also a link in one of the user forums to sort out this sort of thing.
> > This may not be the official mandriva forum and is highly likely to make
> > use of unofficial repositories. Sorry can't help more than that. I ran it
> > for a while under virtual box early last year. You should be able to find
> > the site listed on the mandriva web site.
> >
> > A silly question but the audio cd output may only be taken from the
> > digital lead of the cd or it can be generated another way. Can't help you
> > there but I have had that problem on a couple of distro's and it was down
> > to how the low level audio was set up. Again the mandriva forum should be
> > able to help. This sort of thing can be very distro specific.
> >
> > John
>
> I recently subscribed to their newbie list, but have yet to see any
> activity on it.  I'll give it a shot though.  In the mean time, I think
> I'll try it from a LiveCD from another distribution.  It would be
> interesting to see how it treats and audio CD in the other CDROM.
>
> Barry

official forum and the unofficial one on the mandriva site.

As to trying various distro's I would take a look at virtual box if I were
you. Lot less trouble.

On the technical aspects of the low level sound routines. Can't help you. Much
depends on what the distro decided to do. Going on your external drive it
sounds like the route/software the audio is taking off the dvd drive is the
problem. One of the interesting things about Linux is there are numerous
things and pieces of software that may lie under the desktop. That's why it's
best to ask questions like this on the distro user side. On some distro's
it's best to use a mailing list on others it's best to use the official
forums at least in the 1st instance. In mandriva's case the forum is best.

John