Kaffeine DVD/CD Issues

Barry Premeaux bpx at basicisp.net
Wed Jan 14 04:19:13 GMT 2009

I am running Mandriva 2008.1 on my desktop.  It is an AMD Athlon64 6000+
on an ASUS M2A-VM motherboard.  I have a pair of LiteOn DVD drives in
it.  Both drives read data DVD/CD's without a problem.  But, neither
will play an audio CD.

I also have an external USB DVD/CD drive from Samsung.  With it, I can
play audio CD's with Kaffeine just fine.

Looking at xine engine and the media configuration, it points to the
first DVD drive as /dev/cdrom and dev/dvd.  Checking both of these under
/dev shows them linked to hda as they should be.

I am really lost on this one.  Do some DVD/CD drives read audio disks
and some not?  Could it be a firmware issue in the LiteOn drives?

One thought just occurred to me.  The drives are not identical.  The hda
is a 20x20 DVD-RW DL Super Allwrite, while hdb is a more generic
52x32x52/16 DVD/CDRW.  I'm going to try configuring xine for the second
drive.  In the mean time, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Barry