Question about KDE 4.2

David C. Manuelda stormbyte at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:54:33 GMT 2009

El Friday 09 January 2009 00:45:08 Kishore escribió:
> On Thursday 08 Jan 2009 12:52:13 pm Kishore wrote:

> > > Those are the symptoms I was seeing, as well as system freezes.  They
> > > appear to have been cured by changing the AccelMethod to EXA (in
> > > xorg.conf).

> > > I haven't seen that particular report.
> >
> > I have not really gotten around to figuring out the real problem here
> > yet. I see the above mentioned issue on only one of the machines that I
> > use so it does seem hardware dependent. Ill try and explore more...
>
> I really don't know how to explain this... based on what I read here, I
> decided to update my nvidia driver from 177 to 180 which was also available
> in the intrepid repos. I then restarted and noticed big difference! I
> mean.. i had smooth graphics before too but now I don't seem to have the
> issue of slow disk i/o slowing down the entire system. Laptop runs cooler
> and I can barely hear the fan anymore!
>
> I would never have expected the graphics driver to cause those seemingly
> unrelated issues! The only way I can possibly explain this is that the
> previous driver (177) was really screwing up the IRQ's by possibly causing
> too many interrupts and taking too long to process them... maybe also
> changing the IRQ priority. This caused slow disk I/O and staggered mouse
> movement as those events also possibly generate frequent IRQ's.
>
> Well! I don't know what the real cause was but I am now a happy user!
> Thank you all for pushing me in this direction! :)

I am glad I could help another too with my experiencies and questions :)

But I have to advise you: beware, since you can have severous stability issues
(depending on your hardware, and much other things).

I am reporting to NVIDIA a corruption of graphics I have while running 180.22
(latest "stable" (which is not that stable for me)), so maybe we need to wait
a little bit more :)