Question about KDE 4.2

Thu Jan 8 23:45:08 GMT 2009

On Thursday 08 Jan 2009 12:52:13 pm Kishore wrote:
> On Thursday 08 Jan 2009 12:26:45 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > When you are faced with this "slowness" is there also a heavy disk I/O?
> > >
> > > I have a similar issue here where it sometimes takes up few seconds for
> > > a seemingly trivial task. like opening the kmenu or clock settings or
> > > ... But this seems to be also related to another bug (atleast in
> > > [K]Ubuntu) where the system really becomes painfully slow when there is
> > > concurrent disk I/O.
> >
> > Those are the symptoms I was seeing, as well as system freezes.  They
> > appear to have been cured by changing the AccelMethod to EXA (in
> > xorg.conf).
> >
> > > There is not much processor load during these times but "system
> > > activity" reports several "disk sleeps".
> >
> > I haven't seen that particular report.
>
> I have not really gotten around to figuring out the real problem here yet.
> I see the above mentioned issue on only one of the machines that I use so
> it does seem hardware dependent. Ill try and explore more...

I really don't know how to explain this... based on what I read here, I
decided to update my nvidia driver from 177 to 180 which was also available in
the intrepid repos. I then restarted and noticed big difference! I mean.. i had
smooth graphics before too but now I don't seem to have the issue of slow disk
i/o slowing down the entire system. Laptop runs cooler and I can barely hear
the fan anymore!

I would never have expected the graphics driver to cause those seemingly
unrelated issues! The only way I can possibly explain this is that the
previous driver (177) was really screwing up the IRQ's by possibly causing too
many interrupts and taking too long to process them... maybe also changing the
IRQ priority. This caused slow disk I/O and staggered mouse movement as those
events also possibly generate frequent IRQ's.

Well! I don't know what the real cause was but I am now a happy user!
Thank you all for pushing me in this direction! :)
--
Cheers!
Kishore