Question about KDE 4.2

David Carlos Manuelda stormbyte at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 17:08:51 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 19:23:39 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
> > David Carlos Manuelda wrote:
> >> For example, since I click the K button to raise menu until the menu is
> >> raised, it is a second or two. The same when running dolphin and
> >> clicking in folders for example. I don't note this too much while
> >> running them inside a 3.5.10.
> >
> > I've never seen such operations take more than an instant, regardless of
> > which DE is in use.
> >
> > I would venture there's a different explanation other than the general
> > "kde4 is slower".
>
> This happens if compositing is enabled and a binary-only, proprietary
> NVidia or ATI driver is used or if EXA acceleration is not enabled (in
> the case of open source drivers; the proprietary ones don't support EXA.)

I had compositing disabled, yet using the binary drivers from nvidia so maybe
is EXA related, but is strange, as I said, this does not happens while
running 3.5.10. That's why I asked, because with same X config I note the
impact of performance running the whole kde 4.1.3 over running same apps
inside 3.5.10.
Then, I'll try to set up my X using the VESA driver and retry.