opensuse 11.1 keyboard mapping and xmodmap issues

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Sat Jan 3 07:49:26 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Andy Harrison <aharrison at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a sun ultra 40 workstation and I use the sun type 7 keyboard.
> Previously I was using opensuse 10.2 with KDE 3.5, but recently did a
> fresh install of 11.1 and started using KDE 4.1.  Now I can no longer
> map all of the extra keys available on the type 7 keyboard.  The only
> keys that will map successfully are the audio control keys (keycodes
> 160, 174, and 176) and the Help key (keycode 245).

I don't have any suggestions, per se, but I do have a "me too" to offer. I'm
running OpenSUSE 11.1 myself and I just spent a considerable bit of time
fighting with the keyboard over the last couple of days. I've had to add
this to my ~/.xsession:

setxkbmap -model microsoftpro -layout us -variant basic -option ""

(btw, I found that that was what "yast2 keyboard" was doing and that doing
so got me able to use my keyboard again)

I don't know if it's a change that OpenSUSE 11.1 has brought or what has
caused this, but I've never had to do this before. =:/

If you look in your ~/.xsession-errors, do you see (I do) these kind of
errors?

/etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
/etc/X11/xim: user environment variable LANG=en_US.UTF-8
sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_US.UTF-8 ...
There is no default input method for the current locale.
Dummy input method "none" (do not use any fancy input method by default)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <SYRQ> (keycode 92)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <II5D> (keycode 93)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <II65> (keycode 101)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <BRK> (keycode 114)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <FK13> (keycode 118)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <FK14> (keycode 119)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <FK15> (keycode 120)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <FK16> (keycode 121)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <FK17> (keycode 122)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <KPDC> (keycode 123)
Warning:          No symbols defined for <XFER> (keycode 129)

HTH! =:)

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-