Photo batch-resizing

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 21 12:33:50 GMT 2009

On Saturday 21 February 2009 12:05:07 Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em Sáb 21 Fev 2009, Anne Wilson escreveu:
> > Is it still not possible to re-size batches of photos in Gwenview or
> > Digikam? I need to do this fairly often and rely on being able to
> > boot into KDE3 for this.  Clearly that will not be an option much
> > longer, and it is an annoyance now.
> >
> > Anne
>
> I'm not aware of a KDE4 GUI software that does that, but Image Magick
> does the job very well at the command line.
> find -iname "*.jpg" -exec mogrify -resize W[%]xH[%] {} \;
>
> This will resize all jpg files in the directory tree starting at the
> current directory to the size or percentage you specify.
> If you want to resize files in a single directory, you can use:
> mogrify -resize W[%]xH[%] *.jpg
>
> Instructions on how to use mogrify are here:
> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/mogrify.php
>
> See the convert command to (it's also part of Image Magick).

OK, thanks.

> Just out of curiosity, what do you use in KDE3 to do this?

I haven't done it for a while (club activity is minimal in winter) but I'm
pretty sure that I did it in digikam - where I could define a new folder name
and a new naming pattern at the same time.  It saves a lot of time.  This time
I only had a dozen photos to scale and name, but when you have 50 it's a
different thing.

Like most people, I wish that we had got the functionality back before
worrying about additional features.  I can see which is sexy for devs, though
:-)

Anne