creating custom icons for kde 4 desktop

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Feb 19 19:12:11 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 01:59:34 Stefan Dotterweich wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2009 09:11:53 Rick Miles wrote:

> > > Your desktop can be whatever you want it to be.
> >
> >  and I don't want to have to put a folder named anything on top of it to
> > be able to add my own icons to it.
> >
> > > You can have
> > > ~/.desktopicons instead of ~/Desktop.  I don't see where the problem
> > > is, if there is a problem at all.
> >
> > The method you prefer is discussed in the KDE docs under the heading " If
> > you prefer a Classic, KDE3-style Desktop" I don't. I'd rather learn how
> > to work with KDE4 but not be constrained with what I can do.
> >
> > For example, I want a home icon that will open up konqueror with my home
> > directory and I want it in Quicklaunch on my panel. I have a diamond
> > crystal 42x42 home.png in my local icons directory.
> >
> > This would be easy the way you want to do it into a folder using foldview
> > to paste a folder across the entire desktop. However, that method won't
> > work for installing an icon in the quicklaunch applet.
> >
> > A file named home.desktop with the lines below saved into
> > /usr/share/applications gives me an icon I can put in quicklaunch using
> > the KDE quicklaunch add applet selection/menu and when I select it I get
> > my home directory in konqueror.
> >
> > There is no folderview in Quicklaunch.
> >
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Name=Home
> > Comment=Home Directory
> > Exec=/usr/bin/konqueror ~/
> > Icon=/usr/local/share/icons/home-42.png
> > Terminal=0
> > Type=Application
> > Categories=Application;Network;
>
> It is done exactly like James Richard Tyrer said. Drag the favicon in
> Konqueror anywhere on your desktop and you get an icon with a link to your
> file. You can also drag and drop any file from Konquerer or Dolphin file
> view or even the Kickoff menu. You can drop them onto the panel, too.
>
> and don't forget to unlock your desktop first ;) won't work otherwise

Thanks Stefen but I cannot drag and drop an icon that does not exist until Ihave
created it first.. BTW, I though favicons were url or bookmark icons on webpages do
they now have a special meaning in KDE?
--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Need a carpenter, painter or handyman?
http://rickmiles.com.au

Written on Sweetmorn, the 51st of Chaos, 3175
http://turtlespond.net