configuration on kde 4.2

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:39:11 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 20:05:57 Rick Miles wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009 23:20:55 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 February 2009 11:22:13 Rick Miles wrote:
> > > Thanks Anne. I'll check the links out tomorrow,. I don't know how I
> > > missed that advanced tab. I removed the scribus references manually but
> > > I still would like to know how/where the mime info is stored away.
> > > Silly me I'm just used to editors and such. Never did like/trust gui
> > > configurators all that much :<)
> >
> > I do understand that feeling :-)  Sorry that I don't know the answer to
> > this, though.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Returning to the icons topic at the beginning of this thread,
>
> Where are these icons found that I am supposed to add to quicklauncher,
> where are the icons in the menus found? These guys are some sort of special
> file. I stumbled upon them yesterday but can't figure out where they are
> now. Quicklaucnher does not by default open on to that directory.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Give me a bit more clue?

> I believe I had made up some of these thingos last year by editing them in
> an editor (oh kedit where art thous ...sob!) If I can't do it the the old
> kde 3 way then makinging them up another way is what I need to do. For
> example I use gopdit for editing tv broadcasts I've saved and I want to
> have an icon for it on my desk. I could drag it out of the menu  onto the
> desktop if it was in the menu but it is not.

It's not elegant, but here's one way to get your gopdit icon.  Right-click on
the desktop and choose Appearnce Settings.  The first item on that menu is
Type - change it to Folder View.  While you are in that mode you can treat the
desktop almost the same as the KDE3 one.  Now the right-click on the desktop
brings up a menu that allows you to create a link to a device or file, just as
on the old desktop.  When you've got your icon made, drag it onto the panel.
You can then change the type back to Desktop.  Job done.

>  I haven't found a literature on this yet by I could figure out how to do
> it If I could have a look at the other ones

Don't forget UserBase for help, and keep asking.  I'll help all I can.

Anne