configuration on kde 4.2

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Feb 18 11:22:13 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 22:00:40 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009 10:34:34 Rick Miles wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have had a look at kde 4.2 today. In my case the official slackware
> > packages now in /current/testing.
> >
> > I've spent some time getting the feel of it and am liking it more as I go
> > but there are some niggling configuration issues I have yet to sort out.
>
> You will find a wealth of information and help on http://userbase.kde.org
> :-) In particular, look at
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/KDE3toKDE4
> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management
> http://userbase.kde.org/KWin
>
> > One can no longer create an icon on the desktop using rightclick create
> > link to application. How is it now done.
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/KWin
>
> > I quite liked being able to put my mouse over an icon in konqueror and
> > having a little popup tell me things like what type of video
> > file/encoding it was, what type of audio it contained, etc. I have not
> > figured out how to get this in dolphin. Is it possible?
>
> Not sure about that.  I use the Information panel in dolphin.  More details
> at http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management
>
> > I have not found any way to set file associations except through
> > configure konqueror. Is there another way?
>
> Set these in SystemSettings, Advanced tab.
>
> > It seems that somehow scribus has been set at the top or near the top as
> > associated with every type of text file. It would take ages to delete it
> > manually from every text file listing using configure konqueror. Are
> > there any settings files related to this that I could just run through
> > with awk or sed and delete all the scribus entries and if so where are
> > they.
>
> Can't help on scripting.  Isn't it enough to change association for the
> file types?
>
> > Finding the new way to do configuration is the most trying thing so far
> > otherwise this will be enjoyable once I get used to it.
>
> Most things that were in kcontrol are now in systemsettings.  A few of the
> old controls really only applied to one or two applications.  They have
> been moved to the application settings.
>
> Sorry to reply so much in links, but there is so much more information on
> those links than I can put in an email.  HTH
>
> Anne
Thanks Anne. I'll check the links out tomorrow,. I don't know how I missed that
advanced tab. I removed the scribus references manually but I still would like to
know how/where the mime info is stored away. Silly me I'm just used to editors and
such. Never did like/trust gui configurators all that much :<)