KDE 4.1.3, new user questions

Hans Muecke kde at 4077th-mash.net
Sun Feb 15 07:29:34 GMT 2009

Am Samstag 14 Februar 2009 22:53:34 (US Central) schrieb Jay Mistry:

Howdy Jay,

> - What is the plasmoid (cashew-shaped thing near the right-side of the
> panel and top right of desktop) ? How can I get rid of this extra
> 'plasmoid' functions and revert to the 'classic looks' KDE 3.5 desktop
> (with which I am familiar)

You need the cashew to install widgets to the desktop, so it is a quite handy
thing. I suggest to leave it where it is.

When You refer to "classic look" I assume you want ged rid of the window that
holds the desktop icons instead having them on the desktop. Right click on the
desktop and chose "Desktop settings", on the top there's a drop-down menu.
Pick "Folder View" to get the icons back on the desktop and remove the widget
that shows the window. That's how it worked at my end.

> - The Panel: I find that I cannot move widgets (previously called
> applets/application launchers). The small widget/app-launcher icons
> are stuck to their locations.

There's a chachew at the right end of the menu bar. When you klick on it a
menu with some options comes up. As long as this menu is visible move the
mouse over whatever you want to move and whith a left click you can put it
wherever you want.

> - Also can't seem to add new app launchers (want to add shortcuts for
> kysmonitor, Thunar file manager, kedit, etc). This was very easy in
> KDE 3.5.x

KMenu -> go to the item you want and with a rightclick you can chose between
favorites, desktop and taskbar.

> Links to answers for the above also greatly appreciated.

Hope I was of any help ... I am still new to KDE4 too ... :-)

--
Talk to you later ... Hans

System:
openSUSE 11.1 (2.6.27.7-9-pae)/KDE4.1.3 "release 4.9"