KDE 4.1.3, new user questions

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 04:53:34 GMT 2009

Hi,

I am new to KDE 4.1.3, having just installed it alongside KDE 3.5, on
openSUSE 11.1 Linux.

Had a few questions as this release of KDE is much different than the
3.x series:

- What is the plasmoid (cashew-shaped thing near the right-side of the
panel and top right of desktop) ? How can I get rid of this extra
'plasmoid' functions and revert to the 'classic looks' KDE 3.5 desktop
(with which I am familiar)

- The Panel: I find that I cannot move widgets (previously called
applets/application launchers). The small widget/app-launcher icons
are stuck to their locations.

- Also can't seem to add new app launchers (want to add shortcuts for
kysmonitor, Thunar file manager, kedit, etc). This was very easy in
KDE 3.5.x

Links to answers for the above also greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay
--
Registered Linux User # 483705  @ http://counter.li.org/  (openSUSE 11.1, i686)