Plasma extremelly unstable

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 10 19:31:41 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 17:11:14 David wrote:
> Hi there, I don't know if someone is having same troubles like me, but, for
> me, plasma (plasmoids) are extremelly unstable.

It's not all perfect, but I'm certainly not seeing plasma as extremely
unstable.

> When running with a theme (downloaded through the built in assistant for
> downloading themes from kde-look) named "Oxyglass" after a while, all
> plasma freezes (plasmoids are no longer updated (the CPU one for example,
> the clock either...) but you can still click in the task manager to
> raise/minimize windows despite it is frozen).
> It is really weird and annoying, since plasma restarts itself.
> I don't know if it's a theme problem, or a plasma problem handling the
> theme, but I want to solve this, since the command I most use is "killall
> plasma && plasma" from a konsole or krunner :(
> Any ideas/workarrounds?
> (Using KDE 4.2.0 from gentoo)

I suspect that what theme and/or desktop effect is stable on your system might
depend heavily on your video hardware.  I would seriously suggest that you
experiment with both, keeping note of what is more stable than others.  A
combination of that info together with note of your video card and driver
could be very useful to others.

BTW, I didn't see any mention of either video hardware or driver.  What are
you using?

Anne