Problems Installing KDE

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Thu Feb 5 02:26:44 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 11:59:20 am Graham Todd wrote:
> I am trying to install Kubuntu 8.10, and I have had no success.
> Several posts to the Kubuntu-users list has yielded nothing, so I
> wonder if you can help me.
>
> First the hardware.  It uses an amd64 architecture, but as the box was
> built for me I don't know what kind of graphics card it has except that
> it is a nVidia card.  It also has 2 x 120gig hard drives and 4 gig of
> RAM.
>
> I have a live disk of an amd64 version of Kubuntu, and when loaded as a
> live disk the KDE 4.1 desktop is complete, together with an install
> icon.  I next click on that icon and go all through the installation,
> until I'm asked to restart, but after the reboot, I get the login
> screen, them the screen goes white and next black except for a
> rectangle in the middle of the screen which you can just see as its
> colour is very dark grey.  The system then freezes.

Hello,

More than likely your install of 4.2 is alright. Sounds like an nvidia driver
problem. For an attempt at a fix, find your xorg.conf file and change
the "nvidia" to "nv". That will take you out of the 3D mode and you should
then get a screen at bootup.

I don't know where you will find the xorg.conf file in Kubuntu, but in SuSE it
is in /etc/X11 If that cures the problem you will have to identify your video
card (hwinfo in a terminal) then go to the nvidia site and download/install
the correct driver.

Good luck

Bob S