kde4 ark question

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:50:03 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 19:59:57 pkaplan1 at comcast.net wrote:
> Top post
>
> Half complain about this.
>
> I get zip files at work that contain multiple MS office files. Under prior
> arks (as long as kde3 libs were installed), double clicking the compressed
> file launched the application directly. Under the kde4 version, there's an
> error message that the viewer won't work, so the file has to be
> decompressed and saved to disk before it can be viewed. Shouldn't kde be
> smart enough to figure out (or at least ask) which application should be
> used to open the file? Paul

If you can't be bothered to respect the list guidelines, I won't be bothered
to reply to you after this.

> I get zip files at work that contain multiple MS office files. Under prior
> arks (as long as kde3 libs were installed), double clicking the compressed
> file launched the application directly. Under the kde4 version, there's an
> error message that the viewer won't work, so the file has to be
> decompressed and saved to disk before it can be viewed. Shouldn't kde be
> smart enough to figure out (or at least ask) which application should be
> used to open the file? Paul

I have no zip file of M$ documents, so I can't test that.  However, the couple
of test files, .jar and .war, that I tried did behave as expected.  Double-
clicking on a file within the archive did open it in the appropriate
application.

Anne