kde4 ark question

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 19:59:57 GMT 2009

Top post

Half complain about this.

I get zip files at work that contain multiple MS office files. Under prior arks (as long as kde3 libs were installed), double clicking the compressed file launched the application directly. Under the kde4 version, there's an error message that the viewer won't work, so the file has to be decompressed and saved to disk before it can be viewed. Shouldn't kde be smart enough to figure out (or at least ask) which application should be used to open the file?
Paul

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 18:49:46 pkaplan1 at comcast.net wrote: > I would add that prior versions allowed opening *.doc, *.xls, and *.ppt > files using either OpenOffice.org or Codeweavers/wine/native app depending > on the file association settings for KDE. Now I can't open anything without > first extracting to disk. Paul > Please don't top-post. Ark is an archive manager. Why would you try to open a M$ Office file with it? There are plenty of file viewers. Anne

Bottom post