Screen edges actions: Show desktop

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Dec 29 05:20:50 GMT 2009

Simone Lusenti posted on Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:01:48 +0100 as excerpted:

> I wondered if it was possible in "Configure active screen edges" to make
> KDE triggers a "Show desktop" action when pushing the mouse against an
> edge? I see no "Show desktop" option in the dropdown menu... It would
> be very useful.
>
> (I'm using KDE 4.3.4)

Hi,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I thought I'd ask nicely first,
with a short explanation... and I do answer your question, below...

Please disable HTML when sending to the lists.  Many old timers (that
would include me) consider it a mark of extreme rudeness at minimum (akin
to wiping your nose in your hand then offering to shake hands with
someone, see the malware bit below), and potentially a mark of a spammer
or someone attempting to take advantage of HTML scripting or a parsing
error to spread malware.  IOW, if the message is worth considering, it's
plain text (maybe with /notation/ such as *this* for italics and bold,
etc).  Only those without anything of real value to say in their message
itself need resort to HTML.  Since there's a good chance said old timer
might be the one with your answer, offending them isn't a good thing, as
many would simply ignore such posts or killfile the poster so as not to
see their rudeness again.  I at least try to ask nicely, first.

(FWIW, top posting, posting the reply before an excerpted quote putting
it in context, is a lessor offense.  Given the other subthread, you're
thus not the only one failing to observe netiquette.  I'd have replied
there if it was reasonably easy to put my reply in appropriate context,
but the top posting made that impossible without major editing, so this
was easier.)

As for your question... the "Show Dashboard" action is as close as kde
4.3 lets you get to "Show Desktop", for a screen edge, according to the
choices available here.  There /is/ a slight difference between dashboard
and desktop, but it /is/ only slight, and dashboard may give you want you
need.  As mentioned by someone else, I think the show desktop action will
be available in 4.4, scheduled for February.