OT: Long lines in email (was: Re: special bg color)

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Thu Dec 24 16:16:14 GMT 2009

In <20091224085352.403b4f3a at o>, spir wrote:
>Matthew Woehlke dixit:
>> Also you might want to consider fixing your mailer to wrap long lines
>> properly (or using a mailer that does).
>
>My mail client is correctly set to soft-wrap long lines, instead of
> hard-wrapping (inserting newlines) them, so that text nicely adapt to
> reader-chosen width (*).

Your client is doing it wrong, then.  If you client would like to soft-wrap
lines, it should follow conventions established in RFC 3676 (format=flowed).
Currently your client is sending a mail message with lines longer than 80
characters, which is a violation RFC 5322 (Internet Message Format).
bss at iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))