special bg color

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Dec 18 19:24:11 GMT 2009

spir posted on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:37:52 +0100 as excerpted:

> How to set the background color I see in inactive tabs, vertical bars
> (tell me the proper name in english: the bar used to roll view up &
> down) & progress bars (it's the same color, one I haven't set and
> doesn't appear anywhere in color settings).

FWIW, the name you're looking for for those vertical bars is "scrollbars".

Colors can be an "interesting" challenge in KDE4, precisely because
there's so many to set, and yet even more that are set automatically,
based on the ones set specifically.  One thing that can help a bit, is to
get the "CheckColorRoles (for style developers)" color scheme from
kdelook.  Unless you have one /strange/ sense of color, it's not
something you'll want to use permanently as the colors are anything but
coordinated and pleasing to the eye (it'd be great as a prank to play on
someone! =:^), but it /does/ help in identifying to some degree what's
being used for what.  Be sure to save your current scheme if you've
changed stuff in it, before you switch schemes!

There's another thread from near the end of November, titled "Scrollbars
hard to see", that you might lookup in the archives, as it has way more
detailed info on the kde4 color schemes and the various dynamics that
affect certain aspects of them.

Meanwhile, here's the last paragraph from my reply there:

"""""
Meanwhile, the precise color settings controlling the scrollbar are
window normal background, for the scrollbar background, and button normal
background, for the scroll button.  Again, be sure and check your
previews when you change them tho, ensuring that all the text roles still
show up as sufficiently readable, and if you're running Oxygen style and
have a dark button normal background, consider the effect when it's
lightened a bit due to that hiliting, when you check those previews!
"""""