Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Dec 14 04:52:16 GMT 2009

Draciron Smith posted on Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:08:38 -0600 as excerpted:

> I could use Krunner instead but it's a kinda awkward interface for how I
> work. The singularity of it is especially probmatic. I can launch dozens
> of apps from the same console window, krunner goes away after use. It's
> a one shot platform I'd have to open 100s of times a day and the few
> things that are not doable and or easier from a console are stuff I'm
> not doing anyway. eg Kevin's example of launching Kmail to send an
> email. I typically use Kmail to archive email and use a web interface
> for sending.

Actually, krunner launches with kde (kdeinit4: krunner [kdeinit], is what
ps says is the command line), and simply stays running in the background
when it's not needed.

There's a hotkey for it (as there was with the slightly weaker kde3
version), alt-f2 by default IIRC, but I have one of those multimedia/inet
keyboards with all the extra keys and I have one of them set to launch it
-- which I do by touch now, never taking my eyes off the screen, since I
use it so much.

So it's there when I want it, gone when I don't.  However, your point
about the singularity of it is indeed valid.  I don't use kcalc or other
(bc at the text console, window or otherwise...) as much any more, since
it's simpler to type a lot of stuff into krunner (hint, it displays the
result after you put in the equals).  But if I'm doing that, and want to
launch something else with krunner... or if I have several different math
things going on at once, or... then the singularity that is krunner gets
frustrating.

What they need is an option a lot of apps such as media players have, a
toggle controlling whether opening up one krunner closes the previous
one, if there was one, or not.  As krunner adds more tasklets, that
becomes more and more useful/necessary.

Kevin?

As for the kmail example, I'm not positive, but if I don't miss my guess,
all krunner is doing is using kmail's exposed dbus call control
functionality.  That's also available at the command line, I believe! =:^)