Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 03:54:37 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Saturday, 2009-12-12, Felix Miata wrote:
>> On 2009/12/12 17:30 (GMT) Jose Celestino composed:
>> Konsole's different, but worse, not better, due to its missing standard
>> session menu items, and not by default automatically remembering its state
>>  on restart.
> I personally find Konsole to be better in its newer versions, e.g. I
> especially like the better control over where you can send input to.
> But I guess it probably depends on each person's usage pattern.

There is one HUGE annoyance I have with the new console. You have to
go into the menus to rename a tab instead of right clicking on it to
rename it. That means having to leave what your doing in another tab
and change your focus, then rename it using more clicks without the
visual feedback of what your renaming.  Another annoyance is that the
more tabs button is hidden by default but I don't remember if that's
new or not, just something more to do when setting up a new machine.

The default color scheme has always been hard on my eyes. I go
imediately too Linux colors, that's not a new issue though and easily
changed.

A couple of the new features look useful though I haven't tried them out yet.

A recent update seems to have fixed Console losing track of where it
was. So that appears to have been a bug.  One that bothered me as well
as I hated having to navigate back to where I was every time I logged
back in after my frequent reboots given the flurry of kernel changes
and trying to get KDE in some sort of usable state.

>> KControl's replacement is definitely dumber, with its random splashing of
>> icons replacing the tree structure.
>
> Fortunately all configuration modules are plugins so they can be loaded by any
> shell application.
> For example there will be one in 4.4 which uses a tree structure, called
> KControl.

I never liked either the new or old Kcontrol :)  The new one is a
clone of the XP/Visa way of doing things and as far as I can tell it
only opens up KDE to patent infringement lawsuits as it is way too
closely based on the lack of "control" you find in windoze.

My perspective is this. If your going to single task items, that is
the control center goes away when you choose display for example, then
the point of wrapping it in either a tree or a box is what?  Honestly
it just adds a click to get to things and doesn't organize things.
Most settings live outside kcontrol as such that is just one of many
places you might go looking for where to edit a setting an hope that
you get it right. It'd be much easier to find things if your going to
single task items to just leave them as separate menu entries in a sub
menu under admin or system.

I think Kcontrol was meant to be a Yast like control center, then
organizing things in such a way makes more sense as you can make
multiple changes to configurations without having to open one item,
make changes there, then go back too the menus, open up kcontrol yet
again and open the next item and so on. As a Yast like tool Kcontrol
is a major flop.  The new way is slightly harder to find stuff but I'd
still strongly prefer the seperate menu entries as that would be MUCH
easier to find stuff and saves a click as well as seconds in opening
this vast app who's only purpose is to open another app.