lost *all* settings; and more!

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Dec 13 21:02:37 GMT 2009

James Tyrer posted on Sun, 13 Dec 2009 02:44:07 -0700 as excerpted:

> Probably a bit late to tell you this, but for future reference, you
> can't restore stuff to the $HOME/.kde4 directory for a user while that
> user is running.  It will screw things up.  You need to close that user
> session and open a KDE session as root and do it there making sure that
> you have ownership of the moved files set correctly.

Well, or a CLI session (my personal preference for that sort of thing is
mc, a curses based "semi-GUI"), or GNOME, or whatever.  You just can't
restore the bit you're running while you're running it (as the same user
you're restoring).