lost *all* settings; and more!

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Sun Dec 13 11:49:39 GMT 2009

James Tyrer <jrtyrer at earthlink.net> dixit:

> > The user *is* asked whether to move all files to the new directory,
> > so in a sense it's only done as told. But I'd argue there should be a
> >  check to see if the entire home is being moved, as that would undo
> > the setting to begin with and bork the user completely.
> >
> Yes, since that will break the user's file system, that option should
> not be offered if the path was set to $HOME.  This is a bug and you
> should report it.

It's a kind of bug, sure, and also a misunderstanding. When *changing* a path, eg changing download path from /import to /temp/import, sure it makes sense to move the content. But when the path has not yet been set (but kde takes whatever default which unwisely happens to be $HOME), then there is no path _change_, but instead a first-time setting by the user. In this case, it makes no sense to move the content. Probably the reason why I overlooked the question (it made no sense for me).

Denis