Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Dec 12 14:03:18 GMT 2009

On Friday, 2009-12-11, Draciron Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:05 AM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Friday, 2009-12-11, Draciron Smith wrote:
> >
> > You are misinterpreting what people are writing.
> > It is not about *finding* apps, it is about *adding* them.
> > If they were to be found they would already be in the menu.
>
> Actually Kevin I'm one of the ones who's talking about adding items :)
> One of my biggest gripes about KDE 4's panel and menu system.

Maybe a misunderstanding then.
In your other post you complained about menu editor not *finding* programs,
int can certainly add new ones.

> >> As I've pointed out repeatedly Krunner really offers no functionality
> >> not availible from a command line. It is essentially an ecapsulated
> >> command line which might be great for some but is nothing close to the
> >> functionality I rely on.
> >
> > I have quick access to a real shell through Yakuake anytime I want one
> > and often use it in favor over KRunner, but it is simply not true that
> > KRunner doesn't offer anything over a normal shell.
>
> I'm not understanding.  The applets offered in Krunner are just really
> links to apps you can call quickly and easily from the shell. The
> autocompletion is in the shell but the shell has by default a longer
> command history plus you can search it as well as having every
> console/X app at your disposal if you know enough of it's name too get
> it too autocomplete.  I'm sure for some folks Krunner is great but
> it's not giving any added value if you already have console windows
> open and are comfortable with them.

I have yet to see a shell which has built-ins for "gg:" or "leo:" or "dict:"
or "kde:" or "wp:" or "imdb:" or "qt:"

I have also yet to see a shell which autocompletes kmail when I type mail or
autocompletes kmail with a recepient as an argument when I type the name of a
person in my address book.

Shells are really good at completing executable names, directory names,
quickly switching to directories, quickly copying/moving files, etc.

Basically totally orthogonal to KRunner, they only thing they have in common
is completion of app names.

> msvcrt.dll is one of a couple files that MUST be installed for a
> Visual C++ compiled app to run. It's literally a run time lib, the
> name even stands for microsoft visual C run time. VC is not truely a
> compiled language.

I think it is just a runtime link dependency, e.g. like Qt for a KDE program
or libstdc++ for a C++ program.

> > Thats mainly a matter of having at least one really compelling
> > application available.
> > Say, for example, K3B would have been written with Gambas, there would
> > have been (there are alternatives now, but not back then) no way end user
> > oriented distributions would not ship it.
>
> Yup, a killer app. Once one is written more will be written and so on.
> Python is already showing what empowering non-C++ coders can do and
> look at the huge base of Perl code out there now.

I am really looking forward to such a killer app :)

> OS's live and die on the compilers. Apple did the right thing making
> it easy to write Iphone apps. If you had to wait for Apple to write
> the apps the Iphone would have never really caught on I think. So the
> more the avg Joe is able to write software the more software will be
> out there, the more software the more chances of that killer must have
> app being written, which means more people on that platform which
> means more people writing software and so on.

I think the first platform to get this right, even before Apple with iPhone,
was Mozilla, i.e. allowing extensions to be written with just JavaScript and
XML/HTML/CSS files.
One could do full applications with their XUL runner framework as well, but I
think the key is additions and customizations.

The availability of a high performance JavaScript interpreter in Qt (through
WebKit's script core) will hopefully bring such options to more KDE apps in
the future.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring